Characterized by a fast maximum aperture and high sharpness, the Sony Distagon T* 24mm f/2 ZA SSM Lens aims to be a go-to wide-angle prime for full-frame A-mount shooters. Using a Distagon optical design that incorporates two extra-low dispersion and two aspherical elements as well as the Zeiss T* anti-reflective coating, the 24mm is able to capture images with minimal aberrations and excellent contrast. Also, the f/2 maximum aperture allows photographers to create images with selective focus.
For fast, accurate autofocus, the 24mm f/2 is equipped with a Super Sonic wave Motor (SSM) AF system. This lens also features a focus hold button and focus mode switch to provide fast access to common functions. Further enhancing focus performance is a rear focusing design, enabling a minimum focus distance of just 7.5". Additionally, it has a nine-blade circular diaphragm for smooth out-of-focus elements.
- Based on the Zeiss Distagon optical concept, this lens uses a design with nine elements in seven groups that helps achieve the large maximum aperture of f/2 while helping to minimize vignetting and spherical aberrations.
- A wide-angle prime designed for full-frame A-mount cameras, this 24mm can also be used on APS-C camera systems where it will provide a 36mm equivalent focal length.
- The f/2 maximum aperture allowing users to create images with shallow depth of field effects and work in low-light conditions with relative ease.
- Zeiss T* anti-reflective coatings have been applied to each lens surface to help minimize reflections in order to provide greater image clarity, contrast, and color fidelity.
- Two extra-low dispersion glass elements are featured in the lens design to help reduce chromatic aberrations and color fringing for improved clarity and color neutrality.
- Two aspherical elements are incorporated in the lens design to reduce astigmatism, field curvature, coma, and other monochromatic aberrations.
- A Super Sonic wave Motor (SSM) autofocus system provides quick, quiet, and precise autofocus performance and contributes to more natural and intuitive manual focus control. The rear focusing design also helps achieve a close minimum focus distance of 7.5".
- A focus hold button and focus mode switch are present on the lens barrel for intuitive tactile control and rapid access to select settings.
- Rounded nine-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality when employing selective focus techniques.