Tiffen Digital HT (High Transmission) Neutral Density (ND) Glass Filter - Tiffen, an industry leader in the design and production of high-end filters, has produced a series of filters which contain the strength of a titanium coating along with high-end optical glass.
Using their patented ColorCore technology, this filter represents the highest scratch-resistant durability available. There is no need to worry about cleaning this filter since the coating protects the surface thereby maintaining the optical quality of the glass.
The Titanium coating consistently reflects less than 1% of the imaging light hitting the front surface of the filter while transmitting nearly 99%.
Neutral Density filters have several uses and offer the possibility to achieve otherwise unachievable results. ND filters appear grey and reduce the amount of light reaching the film. They have no effect on color balance.
- • State-of-the-art technological breakthrough in multi-coated photo and video filters
- • Surpass even military specifications for hardness and durability
- • Low profile titanium ring and anti-reflective black lock ring
Neutral Density filters have four main uses
- • To enable slow shutter speeds to be used, especially with high speed films, to record movement in subjects such as waterfalls, clouds, or cars
- • To decrease depth of field by allowing wider apertures to be used, which helps separate subjects from their background
- • To decrease the effective ISO of high speed film (above ISO 400) and allow it to be used outdoors in bright situations
- • To allow cine and video cameras (which have fixed shutter speeds) to film subjects such as snow, sand or other bright scenes which could cause overexposure
Neutral Density factors
- • ND.3 (exposure adjustment = 1 stop, reduces ISO 1/2)
- • ND.6 (exposure adjustment = 2 stops, reduces ISO 1/4)
- • ND.9 (exposure adjustment = 3 stops, reduces ISO 1/8)
- • ND1.2 (exposure adjustment = 4 stops, reduces ISO 1/16)
- • Tiffen filters are manufactured using ColorCore technology, a closely guarded proprietary process that entails permanently laminating the filter material in between two pieces of optical glass that are ground flat to tolerances of a ten-thousandth of an inch, then mounting them in precision metal rings
- • The ColorCore process allows Tiffen to control the color and density of their filters, and the characteristics of special effects filters with much greater accuracy than typical dyed-in-the-mass filters, which usually exhibit color and density variations
- • Top Hollywood motion picture studios rely on Tiffen filters for their multi-million dollar productions
- • Superior quality and design make Tiffen the overwhelming choice of moviemakers, professional photographers and even NASA
- • Tiffen has also been awarded an Emmy, from the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, for its engineering excellence
Type Neutral Density Size 82mm Grade 1.2 (4-Stop) Filter Factor Reduces exposure 1/16 Multi-Coated Yes Rotating Yes Effect Reduce the amount of light reaching the film Application To use high speed films in bright sun Color Temperature Not Applicable Construction ColorCore Glass Front Filter Thread Size 82mm Front Lens Cap Size 82mm