Tiffen Digital HT (High Transmission) Graduated Neutral Density (ND) Multi-Coated Glass Filter - Tiffen, an industry leader in the design and production of high-end filters, has produced a series of filters which contain the strength of a titanium coating along with high-end optical glass. Using their patented ColorCore technology, this filter represents the highest scratch-resistant durability available. There is no need to worry about cleaning this filter since the coating protects the surface thereby maintaining the optical quality of the glass.
A Graduated Neutral Density Filter enables the shooter to adjust exposure without affecting color balance. Neutral Density filters are available in 1, 2, 3, or 4 stops to suit individual situations.
Often it is necessary or desirable to balance the light intensity in one part of a scene with another. This is especially true in situations where you don't have total light control, as in bright contrasty landscapes. Exposing for the foreground will produce a washed-out, over-exposed sky while exposing for the sky will leave the foreground dark and under-exposed. This filter enables cloud detail to be kept correctly exposed in the picture.
Determining which graduated neutral density filter yields ideal results for any given lighting situation takes knowledge, experience and a collection of such filters. Choose the filter strength which adjusts the lighting to stay within the exposure latitude (greatest difference between bright/dark values) which still shows details in both of the digital or film medium in use.
Speaking generally, the 2-stop value (ND 0.6 - the filter's clear portion allows 4x more light to pass vs. darkest portion) effectively compensates average bright sky-to-foreground situations, and the soft transition is applicable more often to a scene than the hard transition.
- • State-of-the-art technological breakthrough in multi-coated photo and video filters
- • Surpass even military specifications for hardness and durability
- • Low profile titanium ring and anti-reflective black lock ring
Neutral Density filters have four main uses
- • To enable slow shutter speeds to be used, especially with high speed films, to record movement in subjects such as waterfalls, clouds, or cars
- • To decrease depth of field by allowing wider apertures to be used, which helps separate subjects from their background
- • To decrease the effective ISO of high speed film (above ISO 400) and allow it to be used outdoors in bright situations
- • To allow cine and video cameras (which have fixed shutter speeds) to film subjects such as snow, sand or other bright scenes which could cause overexposure
Neutral Density factors
- • ND.3 (exposure adjustment = 1 stop, reduces ISO 1/2)
- • ND.6 (exposure adjustment = 2 stops, reduces ISO 1/4)
- • ND.9 (exposure adjustment = 3 stops, reduces ISO 1/8)
- • ND1.2 (exposure adjustment = 4 stops, reduces ISO 1/16)
- • Tiffen filters are manufactured using ColorCore technology, a closely guarded proprietary process that entails permanently laminating the filter material in between two pieces of optical glass that are ground flat to tolerances of a ten-thousandth of an inch, then mounting them in precision metal rings
- • The ColorCore process allows Tiffen to control the color and density of their filters, and the characteristics of special effects filters with much greater accuracy than typical dyed-in-the-mass filters, which usually exhibit color and density variations
- • Top Hollywood motion picture studios rely on Tiffen filters for their multi-million dollar productions
- • Superior quality and design make Tiffen the overwhelming choice of moviemakers, professional photographers and even NASA
- • Tiffen has also been awarded an Emmy, from the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, for its engineering excellence
Type Digital High Transmission Graduated Neutral Density Size 82mm Grade 0.6 (2-Stop) Filter Factor Reduces ISO 1/4 Multi-Coated Yes Rotating Not Applicable Effect Balanced light intensity from one part of a scene to another Application Nature, Travel, Outdoor photography; To maintain light control, as in bright contrasty landscapes; i.e. bright sky, dark foreground Color Temperature Not Specified by Manufacturer Construction ColorCore Glass Front Filter Thread Size 82mm Front Lens Cap Size 82mm