The red hot Lytro 16GB Light Field Digital Camera from Lytro is a compact camera that utilizes the Light Field sensor and the Light Field Engine 2.0 for image capture and processing. Through an 8x optical zoom lens with constant f/2 aperture it records light traveling in every direction throughout a scene, not only along 2 axes, and creates HD-quality "living" pictures in which the focus point is to be determined after you have shot the image. In addition to adjusting focus points on an image, you can change the point of perspective slightly to the left, right, up or down.
Touchscreen technology allows you to determine the point of focus with just a tap on the camera's LCD monitor or, after the image is transferred to your computer, by clicking on the spot in your image where you want focus. If you decide that you prefer focus on another part of the image, click on that spot in the original image (.lfp file) and save. There is no limit to the adjustments you can make. To print an image, save it as a standard 1080 x 1080 jpeg file.
As the Lytro has a constant f/2.0 aperture, you can control light intake by adjusting ISO sensitivity between 80-3200 and shutter speed between 1/250 and 8 seconds. Adjustments are made on the touchscreen. Exposure lock is supported and an integrated ND filter enables further exposure control to -4 equivalent f/stops. The display is a 1.52" back-lit LCD with a glass touchscreen that provides composition and playback viewing and touch control for almost all camera functions. Optical zoom is controlled by a touch sensitive slider on top of the camera body. Because there is no focusing, there is no shutter lag.
Lytro offers two modes: Everyday Mode and Creative Mode. In Everyday Mode the refocus range is set by the camera, but Creative Mode allows you to set the primary point of focus with a tap on the touchscreen and establish a wider refocus range. It also allows full use of the 8x optical zoom enabling close-up shots with a minimum focus distance of virtually zero and an ability to use the longer focal lengths for creative portraits with blurred backgrounds. Living Filters offers nine interactive filters for expressive touches such as Film Noir, Carnival, Mosaic and 8-Track, which adds a 1970's vignetted look to your photo.
The camera itself is extremely compact and lightweight (7.5 oz) with an anodized aluminum body and silicone rubber grip. Images are stored on the internal 16GB flash drive which will hold 750 pictures and are imported to your computer with the free Lytro Desktop app via an included micro-USB cable. Photos can be easily posted on the Lytro webpage and to Facebook where they can be viewed in the same interactive manner as on your own computer or device.
- Refocus and Change Perspective
- The Lytro cameras capture an entire light field without a specific point of focus. After image capture, with either a tap on the LCD or a click on your computer, you can set the point of focus for your image. You are able to continuously and repeatedly change the focus point. Perspective can also be changed slightly, either right or left, up or down.
- Light Field Sensor and Light Field Engine V.2
- The Light Field Sensor is uniquely built for the Lytro cameras and places a micro-lens array on top of a CMOS sensor, thus diverting the light rays to different pixels on the sensor, capturing the angular variation among the rays. The sensor records megarays as opposed to pixels. The Lytro Light Field Sensor in the Lytro camera captures 11 megarays-or 11 million rays-per picture. The Light Field Engine V.2 is the integrated software to process light fields, producing interactive re-focusable pictures. Version 2 includes Perspective Shift capability.
- The lens on the Lytro is a 8x optical zoom lens with a constant aperture of f/2.0. There is no focusing system and light intake is adjusted by controlling shutter speed and ISO.
- ISO and Shutter Speed
- The ISO range for the Lytro cameras is 80-3200 and its shutter speed can be controlled from 1/250 second to 8 seconds.
- Neutral Density Filter
- Employing the integrated neutral density filter enables exposure adjustment to -4 stops
- LCD Monitor
- A 1.5" back-lit LCD display provides image composition and review and its glass touchscreen allows menu control and selection of the focus point after shooting.
- Everyday Mode and Creative Mode
- The Lytro offers Everyday Mode in which the camera selects the refocus range and Creative Mode in which a tap on the touchscreen marks the focus point. Creative Mode allows for a broader refocus range and use of the full 8x optical zoom range.
- Living Filters
- Living Filters allow you to add nine distinct special effects to your images, touching them, for example, with a Mosiac look, a 1970's vignette look, a Film Noir look or Carnival, in which you add a spiral design to your shot.
- Images are stored on the internal 16GB flash drive which holds up to 750 images. There is no memory card.
- Import, Upload and Share
- Refocus and edit your images by importing them to your computer with the free Lytro Desktop application via an included micro-USB cable. You can then post your Lytro images to your own personal page on Lytro Web, where your pictures will be stored for free and you can also have Lytro Desktop automatically post to Facebook at the same time. Your friends can refocus your images on Facebook.
- The shell of the Lytro is ultra-light anodized aluminum alloy with a silicone rubber grip. The power button, zoom slider and shutter buttons are discretely housed on the grip. A wrist strap and magnetized lens cap are included.
Lytro Lytro 16GB Light Field Digital Camera (Red Hot)
- Lens Cap
- Wrist Strap
- Micro-USB Cable
- Cleaner Cloth