This Ikelite 6171.05 Underwater Housing for Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 is an injection-molded clear polycarbonate case, known for its strength and corrosion-free properties. The housing offers an unobstructed view of the camera's information and control functions and operates safely to a depth of 200'. Every camera function is accessible in this housing except the Flash Open Switch. Camera installation is quick and simple, and the O-ring seal can be checked visually through the clear housing. Two 12-24 threaded mounts on the bottom of the housing allow for the secure attachment of optional trays and lighting accessories.
An included flash diffuser improves lighting quality when the camera's built-in flash is used. A built-in flash is effective between 1 and 3 feet (0.3-0.9m) from the subject in clear conditions. An external strobe is recommended for better results. This will bring out the natural color of your subject and reduce the illumination of particles suspended in the water, known as backscatter. This housing includes circuitry that allows two-way communication between the camera and Ikelite Substrobes providing true Panasonic TTL exposure. This ensures a faster recycling time and longer camera battery life as compared to fiber optic TTL systems. Strobes from other manufacturers can be used in manual mode. The housing is slightly negative in saltwater for stability, and handles superbly underwater.
The housing comes standard with a flat port which allows full use of the camera's zoom without vignetting. For wide-angle work the housing does accept the Ikelite W-20 Wide-Angle Conversion Lens. Vignetting will be present with a wide angle lens attached. The LX-5 must be zoomed several stops to eliminate vignetting. Addition of an Ikelite W-20 or comparable wide angle lens will gain approximately 15-20% angle of view after zooming.
- TTL Flash Compatible
- Housing includes circuitry that allows two-way communication between the camera and Ikelite Substrobes providing true Panasonic TTL exposure.
- Non-Ikelite Strobes
- Non-Ikelite strobes can be used manually with proper sync cord.
- Clear Polycarbonate Construction
- Strong and corrosion-free. Unobstructed view of the camera's information and control functions with visual confirmation of o-ring seal.
- Camera Functions
- Housing accesses all camera functions on the Lumix LX-5 except the Flash Open Switch.
- Mechanical Controls
- The dependable controls are conveniently placed at fingertip and kept watertight with Ikelite's pioneered Quad-Ring seal glands, one of the most reliable methods for sealing controls.
- The optional W-20 wide-angle conversion lens will add approximately 15-20% to the angle of view.
Construction Clear polycarbonate, injection molded Control Type Mechanical Controls All except Flash Open Switch Depth Rating 200' (60m) Buoyancy Slightly negative in salt water Port Fixed, flat Internal Flash Usable Yes External Strobe Connector Yes TTL Compatible Yes Moisture Alarm None Color Clear Dimensions (WxHxD) 7 x 5 x 5.4" (177.8 x 127 x 137.16mm) Weight (without Camera) 2.8 lbs (1.3 kg) above water