The Hasselblad H4D-40 Medium Format DSLR delivers unsurpassed image quality via an outstanding set of powerful features and precision optics. One of the most notable features in this dynamic camera is True Focus technology with Absolute Position Lock (APL) which allows you to capture close distance shots with a unique yaw sensor to measure angular velocity. The yaw sensor accurately measures and computes correct focus and makes it much easier to utilize selective focus to gain a shallow depth of field that is often desirable in commercial applications.
The features of this camera meet the needs of professional photographers while on location or in the studio. The low noise color filter of the H4D-40's sensor provides for increased clarity and increased depth of field. The Natural Color Solution (HNCS) achieves consistent color reproduction using a single color profile, and digital lens correction perfects each image captured through HC/HCD lenses by removing any trace of distortion, vignetting, or chromatic aberrations.
The Hasselblad HC 80mm f/2.8 is the standard lens for the H system. The high-performance design ensures great color correction, a flat image plane, and low distortion. The wide aperture facilitates photography in poor light and provides a bright viewfinder image. A lens suited for almost any task in general photography.
The H4D also comes bundled with Hasselblad's Phocus 2.0 imaging software, featuring a dramatically reduced learning curve, enabling the average photographer to be up to speed in less than 30 minutes, and a feature set that matches the industry standards defined by Adobe and Apple.
The H4D-40 takes full benefit from all the flexibility of the impressive H camera system. Photographers get a camera that is as easy to use and delivers the image quality professionals expect from Hasselblad.
- Digital Lens Correction and Ultra-Focus
- The H4D-40 camera allows information from the lens and exact capture conditions to be fed to the camera processor for ultra-fine tuning of the auto-focus mechanism, taking into account the design specifications of the lens and the optical specifications of the sensor. In this way the full HC/HCD lens program is even further enhanced, bringing a new level of sharpness and resolution. Digital correction for color aberration and distortion is also added. "Digital Lens Correction" (DAC), is an automatic correction of the images based on a combination of the various parameters concerning each specific lens for each specific shot, ensuring that each image represents the best that your equipment can produce.
- True Focus & Absolute Position Lock (APL)
- True Focus helps solve one of the most lingering challenges that face serious photographers today: true, accurate focusing throughout the image field. Hasselblad has used modern yaw rate sensor technology to measure angular velocity in an innovative way. The result is the new Absolute Position Lock (APL) processor, which forms the foundation of Hasselblad's True Focus feature. The APL processor accurately logs camera movement during any re-composing, then uses these exact measurements to calculate the necessary focus adjustment, and issues the proper commands to the lens's focus motor so it can compensate. The APL processor computes the advanced positional algorithms and carries out the required focus corrections at such rapid speed that no shutter lag occurs. The H4D's firmware then further perfects the focus using the precise data retrieval system found on all HC/HCD lenses.
- Instant Approval Architecture
- Building on the success of the Audio Exposure Feedback technology, Hasselblad has created Instant Approval Architecture (IA), an enhanced set of feedback tools, designed to enable the photographer to focus on the shoot rather than the selection process. IA triggers audible and visual signals for each image captured, notifying the photographer immediately of its classification status. The information is recorded both in the file and in the file name, providing a quick and easy way to classify and select images, in the field or back at the studio. IA is a Hasselblad trademark and Hasselblad has a patent pending on the invention.
- Tethered or Un-tethered Operation
- The H4D-40 provides the ability to combine working tethered and un-tethered to get the most of your camera system both on location and in the studio.
- Processing Options
- This Hasselblad allows the option of processing your raw images in Hasselblad's Phocus imaging toolbox, or working with your raw images directly in Apple or Adobe imaging environments.
- Meeting Commercial Challenges
- Using the H4D-40 gives you the choice of combining point-and-shoot and tilt/shift to solve creative commercial challenges. Two basic options are available for tilt/shift work with H4D-40. A simple-to-use, portable adapter solution and the classic view camera solution. The HTS tilt/shift adapter for H4D-40 allows for portable tilt/shift with the HC/HCD lens range from 28mm to 100mm.
- Two Modes of Operation & Storage
- The H4D-40 offers a choice of storage devices: CF cards or a computer hard drive. With these operating and storage options, you are able to select a mode to suit the nature of the work in hand, whether in the studio or on location.
- Other New Features
- Expanding on the great feature set of the H3D camera line, a set of new camera features are introduced with the H4D-40:
- Camera electronics delivering the basis for True Focus and ultra fast Auto Focus
- Extra large 3" display on the H4D-40 provides a realistic, high quality and perfect contrast image view, even in bright sunlight
- Extended exposure time up to 4 min (256 sec) exposure
- AF assist lights for working in dark environments
- 80 MB/sec read-write performance on Extreme Pro cards from SanDisk
Phocus 2.0 Software
- Special Extended Camera Controls
- Special extended camera controls with which to operate your H4D-40 camera. These features, such as live video for easier shot set-up and workflow, or the ability to control the lens drive for focusing when the camera is in a remote position or when the digital capture unit is mounted on a view camera, bring an entirely new level of flexibility to the way you shoot.
- Moiré Removal Technology
- Moiré Removal Technology automatically applied directly on the raw data, leaving image quality intact and eliminating the need to carry out special masking selections or other manual procedures, saving hours of tedious post-production work.
- Flexible Workflow
- The Phocus GUI features easy-to-use options that allow you to customize your set-up to suit a range of different workflow situations, such as choice of import source, browsing/comparison functions, file management, image exporting a number of file formats, pre-setting of options for upcoming shoots, and more.
- New Metadata
- The extended metadata included in all Phocus images provides for accurate and detailed cataloguing and indexing, easy image management, and includes added GPS data functionality in order to allow a range of new functions. Phocus links GPS data directly to Google Earth, for example, making geographic reference a snap and image storage and retrieval much easier.
- 100% Viewing Quality
- The Phocus Viewer delivers image viewing quality that matches every detail of what you will see later in Photoshop. In addition, the Phocus Viewer allows you to customize layout and composition to suit your current or desired workflow, providing a wide range of options including full view, compare, browse, horizontal, or vertical view, and so on. You can have multiple folders open simultaneously for side-by-side viewing, comparison, and selection.
- Hasselblad H4D-40 Medium Format DSLR Camera
- HC 80mm f/2.8 Lens
- Front & Rear Lens Caps
- Lens Hood
- HVD-90X Viewfinder
- Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery (integrated into Grip)
- Battery Charger
- FireWire 800 Cable
- Phocus 2.0 Software CD-ROM
- User's Guide on CD-ROM