New Improved 2nd Version! Best Charger of the Century!
Maha Energy, the maker of Powerex batteries and chargers, is pleased to announce its most significant product in five years: MH-C9000 WizardOne Battery Charger & Analyzer. Suitable for the casual consumer users, enthusiast and professionals, WizardOne is capable of charging, conditioning, analyzing, cycling, forming and discharging one to four AA or AAA batteries, all while digitally displaying the battery capacity and voltage. All four slots can be operated independently in different modes and settings. A total of five modes are available.
Those seeing the unit for the first time will be struck by its large LCD screen, backlit by ultra-bright white LEDs.
Measuring over 3.5” by 1.5”, the display is more than three times larger than its closest competition and shows a wealth of information that is easy to read.
In addition to the standard charging, conditioning and discharging, the WizardOne charger-analyzer also offers two unusual operations modes. The “Break-In” mode allows the user to input the capacity of the battery and performs a “forming” charge designed to properly break-in new batteries. The “Cycle” mode allows user to charge and discharge batteries consecutively while storing the capacity for up to 15 cycles.
There are ten selectable charging and discharging current from 0.2A to 2.0A and 0.1A to 1.0A respectively. The charger also features four independent temperature sensors using Maha’s latest temperature rise detection algorithm in addition to the usual peak temperature detection. It also armed with additional patented termination algorithms found in other Maha chargers.
The unit can be operated in a “basic” and “advanced” mode. In the basic mode, user merely needs to insert the batteries with no further key press. The charger will select the appropriate settings automatically, making it suitable for the casual users.
The WizardOne is also incredibly accurate. Using a quartz oscillator time base typically found in computer boards, it is able to report capacity within 1% accuracy across multiple units making battery benchmarking more meaningful.
MH-C9000 will ship in December 2006. The standard package will include a worldwide travel power supply. A 12V car adapter is available as an option.
- Charge, condition and analyze one to four AA or AAA batteries.
- Independent operation of each slot.
- Large backlit LCD.
- Digitally displays capacity, voltage, time elapsed and current.
- Adjustable charging rate from 0.2 to 2.0A and discharging rate from 0.1A to 1.0A.
- Five modes of operation:
- Charge: Charge the battery at the selected rate.
- Discharge: Discharge the battery at the selected rate.
- Analyze & Refresh: First charge the battery at the selected rate, then discharge it at the selected rate followed by recharging. The discharge capacity is saved for display at the end of the cycle.
- Break-In: Allows user to enter the battery capacity and performs a forming charge at 0.1C for 16
hours (using only temperature and timer cutoff) followed by discharge and medium rate recharge.
- Cycle: Allows user to set charge and discharge rate and number of cycle to perform. Will save capacity up to 15 cycle which user can access throughout the cycling.
- Negative delta V, peak voltage, dT/dt (temperature rise) and max temperature protection.
- Four independent thermocouples to manage battery temperature.
- Quartz-oscillator time base for 1% repeatability in capacity calculations.
- 12V input and can be powered by an optional car adapter.
- Worldwide switching power supply.
- Rugged construction with extensive ventilation for the batteries.
- Built-in “lift rod” to raise the charger to improve air flow below the unit.
Q: Does the MH-C9000 still maintain all the 10 charge rates up to and including the 2000mA charge rate when charging 4 AA batteries. ?
A: Absolutely. The MH-C9000 charger can be programmed to charge at any of the 10 programmable charge rates even when charging 4 batteries.
Q: What is the weight of the AC power adapter ?
A: The AC power adapter weighs 170gr (6oz.)
Q: Can you use the battery forming feature on older batteries or on New batteries only ?
A: You can use the battery forming mode at any time you feel that your batteries may not be performing as they once did. Often you can use the forming mode to help refresh any of your rechargeable batteries and help extend their usefu8l life as well.
Q: Does the MH-C9000 charger have a Trickle Charge ?
A: Yes it does. As a matter of fact in certain modes, a "TOPOFF CHARGE" is applied after rapid charge termination to top off the battery. The rate is typically 0.1C ( Approx. 200mA ) and is applied for one hour. After that, an indefinite trickle charge is applied, usually at 0.005C (so around 10mA for AA rechargeable batteries) using modulated pulse trickle charge. This assures good battery performance even if the batteries are left in the charger for an extended period of time.
Q: Does the MH-C9000 battery charger have any limit on rechargeable battery capacity ?
A: Answered by: William Chueh of Maha Energy : The micro controller can support higher capacity batteries without any problem (however the capacity calculation limit is 20,000mAh).
Q: Does the MH-C9000 have a Charge/Test that follows the proper IEC standard procedure (rest period of one hour, IEC standard) ?
A: Answered by: William Chueh of Maha Energy : The MH-C9000 does have a built-in "IEC" capacity program under the "Break-In" mode.
The sequence is:
- Charge for 16 hours at 0.1C (user inputs capacity - though for safety reasons, temperature monitoring will be enabled, but no voltage termination).
- Rest 1 hour.
- Discharge at 0.2C (up to 1.0A).
- Rest 1 hour.
- Repeat step 1 to 4 for four times.
- Last discharge capacity is saved.
- Charge - battery ready for use.