Offering a comprehensive combination of speed, accuracy and image quality, the EOS-1D Mark IV is the perfect choice for professional photographers and subjectson the move.
With a completely redesigned 45-point AF system including 39 cross-type points, a new AI Servo II AF focus tracking system with improved algorithm combined with 10 fps continuous shooting, the EOS-1D Mark IV can handle even high-speed situations with ease. An APS-H sized 16.1 Megapixel CMOS Sensor, Dual DIGIC 4 Image Processors, a spectacular ISO range of 100 - 12800 (up to 102400 in H3 mode) with an advanced noise reduction system helps ensure sharp, low-noise images even in low-light situations.
Add advanced Live View shooting, Full HD movie recording with selectable frame rates and manual exposure control plus a host of new features that enhance every facet of the shooting process. The EOS-1D Mark IV is the choice of professionals looking for the ultimate in SLR performance.
|Type ||Digital, single-lens reflex, AF/AE camera |
|Recording Media||CF Card Type I and II, SD/SDHC Memory Card (1 slot each), UDMA Mode 6 CF cards and/or External media (USB v.2.0 hard drive, via optional Canon Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E2/E2A or Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E2 IIA)|
|Image Sensor Size||1.098 x 0.73 in./ 27.9 x 18.6 mm (APS-H size sensor)|
|Compatible Lenses||Canon EF lenses|
|Lens Mount||Canon EF mount|
|Image Sensor Type||High-sensitivity, high-resolution, large single-plate CMOS sensor|
|Pixels||Effective pixels: Approx. 16.1 megapixels|
|Total Pixels||Total pixels: Approx. 17.0 megapixels|
|Aspect Ratio||3:2 (Horizontal: Vertical)|
|Color Filter System||RGB primary color filters|
|Low-pass Filter||Fixed position in front of the CMOS sensor |
|Dust Deletion feature||(1) Self Cleaning Sensor Unit|
- Helps remove dust adhering to the low-pass filter.
- Automatic cleaning when power on and off, and manual cleaning.
- Low-pass filter has a fluorine coating.
(2) Dust Delete Data acquisition and appending
- The coordinates of the dust adhering to the low-pass filter are detected by a test shot and appended to subsequent images
- The appended data is used by the provided software to automatically minimize dust spots
(3) Manual cleaning
|Recording Format||DCF 2.0 (Exif 2.21): JPEG, RAW and RAW+JPEG simultaneous recording possible. Multiple options for recording images on two memory cards, and onto compatible external USB hard drives (via optional Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E2/2A, E2 IIA)|
|Image Type||JPEG, RAW, M-RAW, S-RAW (Canon .CR2) MOV|
1) Large: Approx. 16.00 megapixels (4896 x 3264)
2) Medium 1: Approx. 12.40 megapixels (4320 x 2880)
3) Medium 2: Approx. 8.40 megapixels (3552 x 2368)
4) Small: Approx. 4.00 megapixels (2448 x 1632)
1) RAW: Approx. 16.00 megapixels (4896 x 3264)
2) M-RAW: Approx. 9.00 megapixels (3672 x 2448)
3) S-RAW: Approx. 4.00 megapixels (2448 x 1632)
|Recording Functions||(1) Standard|
(2) Automatic switching of recording media
- When the current recording media becomes full, it switches to another recording media automatically and continues recording
(3) Separate recording
- Set the desired image size (L, M1, M2, S, RAW, M-RAW, S-RAW) for each recording media before shooting
- The image size set for one captured image will be applied to all the recording media
(4) Recording of identical images
- The same image is recorded to all media
- With external recording media connected via WFT-E2 IIA* and WFT-E2/E2A (Firmware Ver. 2.0.0 or higher).
- Two options: 1. Quick backup (Backup folder created automatically and folder name set automatically.), 2. Backup (Backup folder created manually and folder name can be entered manually.)
- Images in the card are backed up in the external recording media's root directory based on the card's DCIM folder structure.
|File Numbering||(1) Continuous numbering (2) Auto reset (3) Manual reset (the image numbering isreset to 0001, a new folder is created automatically)|
|Color Space||sRGB, Adobe RGB|
|Picture Style||Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, Faithful, Monochrome, User Def. 1-3|
|Auto White Balance||Auto white balance with the image sensor|
|Color Temperature Compensation||White balance bracketing: Three consecutive images, Up to +/- 3 levels in 1-stopincrements White balance correction: blue/amber bias and/or magenta/green bias (Corrected in reference to the current WB mode's color temperature.) +/- 9 levels; manually set by user. |
When blue/amber bias and magenta/green bias set with White balance correction, white balance bracketing cannot be set together during white balance correction
|Color Temperature Info Transmission||Provided|
|Viewfinder Type||Eye-level SLR with fixed pentaprism|
|Viewfinder Coverage||Approx. 100% horizontally and vertically|
|Viewfinder Magnification||Approx. 0.76x (with 50mm lens at infinity, -1 m-1) Angle of view: Approx. 28.3°|
|Viewfinder Eyepoint||20mm (at -1m-1, from eyepiece lens center)|
|Built-in Dioptric Adjustment||-3.0 to +1.0 m-1 (diopter)|
|Viewfinder Mirror||Quick-return half mirror (Transmission: reflection ratio of 37:63)|
|Depth-of-Field Preview||Enabled with depth-of-field preview button|
|Autofocus Type||TTL-AREA-SIR AF-dedicated CMOS sensor|
|AF Points||Area AF with 45 AF points|
- 8 mm (H) x 15 mm (W)
All 45 AF points are horizontal-line sensitive at f/5.6 (vertical). Thirty-nine of the 45 AF points are vertical-line sensitive at f/2.8 for cross-type focusing. For automatic AF point selection, cross-type focusing with 19 AF points is used. (The 39 cross-type AF points are used only during manual AF point selection.)
- When using some f/4 lenses (also when using f/2.8 lens + 1.4x), cross-type focusing with 39 AF point is possible
|Metering Range||EV -1-18 (at 23°C/73°F with 50mm f/1.4 lens at ISO 100)|
|Focusing Modes||1) One-Shot AF |
2) Predictive AI Servo AF
- The following can be set: C.Fn III -2: Focus-tracking sensitivity, C.Fn III -3: Servo operation method and shutter-release timing, C.Fn III -4: Servo operation method in case a closer object enters the focus center during subject-tracking.
(2) Manual focus
|AF Point Selection||(1) The 45 AF points can be selected automatically or any one of them can be selected manually. |
2) During manual AF point selection, the six AF points (or 26 AF points during automatic AF point selection) other than the 39 cross-type AF points will work as horizontal line-sensitive sensors at f/5.6.
|Selected AF Point Display||Superimposed in viewfinder and on LCD panel|
|AF-assist Beam||None |
When an external EOS-dedicated Speedlite is attached to the camera, the AF-assist beam from the Speedlite will be emitted when necessary
- Compatible with the 270EX's AF-assist beam (a series of small flashes)
|Metering Modes||63-zone SPC TTL metering with selectable modes |
(1) Evaluative metering (linkable to any AF point)
(2) Partial metering (approx. 13.5% of viewfinder at center)
(3) Spot metering (approx. 3.8% of viewfinder at center)
@@ Center spot metering
@@AF point-linked spot metering
@@ Multi-spot metering (max. 8 spot metering entries)
(4) Center-Weighted average metering
|Metering Range||EV 0-20 (at 23°C/73°F with 50mm f/1.4 lens at ISO 100)|
|Exposure Control||Program AE (shiftable), Shutter speed-priority AE, Aperture-priority AE, E-TTL II program AE (Evaluative flash metering, Averaged flash metering), Manual|
|ISO Speed (Recommended Exposure Index)||Auto, ISO 100-12800 (1/3-stop or 1-stop increments: Expandable to 25600|
|Exposure Compensation||Exposure Compensation (user-set): +/-3 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments. |
Auto Bracketing (AEB): 3 shots, up to +/- 3 stops, in 1/3 or 1/2 stop increments, in all exposure modes. Can be changed via C.Fn I-6 to 2, 5, or 7 shots. Bracketing order can be changed via C.Fn I-5.
*Except during movie Manual exposure.
|AE Lock||Auto: Applied in One-Shot AF mode with Evaluative metering when focus is achievedual: By AE lock button |
Manual (user-set): By AE lock button in all metering modes
|Shutter Type||Vertical-travel, mechanical, focal-plane shutter with all speeds electronically controlled|
|Shutter Speeds||/8000 to 30 sec. (1/3-, 1/2-, or 1-stop increments: C.Fn I -1), X-sync at 1/300 sec.|
|Shutter Release||Soft-touch electromagnetic release |
|Self-timer||10-sec. or 2-sec. delay|
|Remote Control||Canon N3-type terminal|
|Compatible Flash||Compatible with all EX-series Speedlites. Compatible with the AF-assist flashes fired by Speedlite 270EX|
|Zooming to Match Focal Length||Provided|
|Flash Metering||E-TTL II autoflash |
|Flash Exposure Compensation||±2 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments|
|External Flash Settings||Flash function settings, Flash C.Fn settings / Clear all Speedlite|
|Drive Modes||Single, silent, high-speed continuous (approx. 10 fps), low-speed continuous (approx. 3 fps), 10- or 2-sec. self-timer|
|Continuous Shooting Speed||Approx. 10 fps (at a shutter speed of 1/500 sec. or faster in all recording modes); fastest speed can be lowered if desired via Custom Function III-16|
|Maximum Burst||The maximum burst during continuous shooting is as follows: |
JPEG Large (Compression rate 8): Approx. 85 shots, RAW: Approx. 26 shots,
RAW+JPEG Large (Compression rate 8): Approx. 20 shots
Although the file size is larger than the EOS-1D Mark III due to the increase inpixels, the improved internal processing enables stress-free continuous shooting.
|Focusing||1) Manual focus|
2) Autofocus (One-Shot AF)
- AF enabled by pressing the shutter button halfway or pressing the AF-ON button.
1. Live mode: - One point, contrast AF. Switching to another AF point possible.
2. (Face detection) Live mode: - Face detection, Contrast AF. When multiple faces are detected, face selection is possible with the multi-controller.
- Magnified view not possible.
3. Quick mode
45-point, phase-difference AF, One-shot AF, Manual AF Point selection
|Metering Modes||Evaluative metering with the image sensor|
|Metering Range||EV 0-20 (at 23°C/73°F with EF 50mm f/1.4 USM lens, ISO 100)|
|LCD Monitor Type||TFT color, liquid-crystal monitor|
|Monitor Dots||Approx. 920,000 (VGA)|
|Monitor Coverage||Approx. 100%|
|Brightness Adjustment||Adjustable to one of seven brightness levels|
|Image Playback Display Format||Single image, 4-image index, 9-image index, Jump, Magnified zoom (approx. 1.5x to 10x), Histogram, Auto rotate, Rotate |
Live view: view image before shooting on LCD monitor; live histogram and live simulation of exposure level possible with C.Fn IV-16-1
|Image Protect||Single image, all images in a folder, or all images in the memory card can be protected or cancel the image protection|
|Image Erase||Single image, all images in a folder, all images in the memory card or check-marked images can be erased or unprotected|
|Compatible Printers||PictBridge-compatible printers|
|Printable Images||RAW/M-RAW/S-RAW and JPEG images complying to Design rule for Camera File System|
|DPOF||Version 1.1 compatible|
|Custom Functions||A total of 62 Custom Functions from C.Fn I to IV can be set with the camera|
|My Menu Registration||Provided|
|USB Terminal||For personal computer communication and direct printing (USB 2.0 Hi-Speed)|
|Video Out Terminal||NTSC/PAL selectable|
|Battery||One Battery Pack LP-E6|
* With the AC Adapter Kit ACK-E4, AC power is possible.
|Battery Check||Automatic battery check when the power switch is turned ON Displayed in one of six levels |
* Displayed on LCD panel, in the viewfinder, and battery information screen.
|Power Saving||Provided. Power turns off after 1, 2, 4, 8, 15, 30 min.|
|Date/Time Battery||One CR2025 lithium battery |
|Start-up Time||Approx. 0.1 sec. (Based on CIPA testing standards) |
* Approx. 0.2 sec. based on previous specification standard.
|Working Temperature Range||32-113°F/0-45°C|
|Working Humidity Range||85% or less|
|Dimensions (WxHxD)||6.1 x 6.2 x 3.1 in./156 x 156.6 x 79.9mm73.5mm|
|Weight||Approx. 1180 g / 41.6 oz.|