Canon EOS 1D C Camera (Body Only) (Canon Malaysia)
Designed specifically for the unique demands of the motion picture industry, the EOS-1D C Camera from Canon is a breakthrough in hybrid HDSLR technology--able to record stills, 4K and Full HD video, to either two on-board CF cards or uncompressed Full HD to outboard recorders.
One of the largest benefits of having 4K video technology in a DSLR body is that it will be able to go places that other larger 4K cameras cannot, providing new ways of composing and capturing scenes. It is also compatible with the entire fleet of Canon EOS lenses already available, and perhaps already in your arsenal. If you're looking for a powerful yet versatile rig that knows what a cinematographer wants and needs, then Canon answers the call with this impressive offering.
The EOS-1D C was built to shoot cinematic quality, in a compact and versatile EOS body. It is able to capture 4K (4096 x 2160), 24p (23.976) content directly to its on-board CF memory cards. It does this by using an 8-bit 4:2:2, high bit rate Motion JPEG compression scheme--allowing 4K content to be acquired in virtually any shooting environment, without an off-board external recorder.
Coupled with the camera's small form factor, the EOS-1D C allows 4K recording in environments that would normally be impossible or that would require much larger cameras, crews and permits. It also allows filmmakers to be discreet in crowded or hostile shooting environments, on and in vehicles, or even in underwater housings.
In addition to its large pixel size--for outstanding still images and 4096 x 2160 video--the camera provides the serious photographer with a generous ergonomic design, along with a smart layout of the controls. Dual CF card slots ensure that every shot can be captured, while the magnesium alloy body is dust and weather resistant, allowing you to get the job done without hesitation, or worry.
Producing the selective focus and field of view that made filmmakers fall in love with the EOS 5D Mark II, the standard Full-Frame HD setting on the EOS-1D C takes advantage of the camera's 36mm sensor width. This setting is ideal when filmmakers want to take full advantage of Canon's EF and EF Cinema prime lenses to capture that unique and distinct full-frame look--though Canon's EF Cinema zoom lenses require the Super 35mm Cropping setting, fixed focal length EF Cinema lenses will cover the area of a full-frame sensor.
As a new category of hybrid HDSLR cameras is created, capable of shooting 4K video--the motion picture industry standard--Canon and the EOS-1D C enter previously uncharted territory. Now cinematographers can shoot feature films from inside cars and planes, or documentaries using underwater housings--allowing a whole new perspective to be captured for the big screen.
- Cinematic 4K Video
- Putting the industry standard of 4K (4096 x 2160), 24p (23.976) video into an EOS-1D camera body revolutionizes the way feature films, documentaries, and television studios can record. Now instead of teams of workers, heavy and complicated equipment, and even permits just to use it all, you can get an enormous amount of versatility, mobility, and creative control without losing cinematic quality.
The 1D C can also simultaneously output a time code stamped, uncompressed 8-bit 4:2:2 Full HD signal for off-board recording--Clean HD video via HDMI. While recording in this high quality, however, roughly each minute of recorded content occupies 4GB of storage space. Therefore, a 64GB CF card can record approximately 16 minutes of 4K content so you will likely come to rely on the dual CF card slots as they fill up faster than HD video on previous DSLR cameras.
- Full HD Recording
- The EOS-1D C is capable of recording Full HD (1920 x 1080) content to on-board CF cards with a choice of frame rates (24p, 25p, 30p, 50p and 60p), in two distinct fields of view (Full-Frame HD and Super 35mm Crop). Both are recorded as 8-bit 4:2:0 H.264 based Full HD video, and can be recorded at a number of frame rates all the way up to 60 progressive frames per second (which requires no up scaling in post when dropped into a 1920 x 1080 timeline).
The 1D C's Super 35mm Cropping setting matches the motion picture industry's standard imaging format and angle of view when in a commercial or feature film environment. Using this setting will match the depth of field and angle of view used in virtually all digital cinema cameras on the market today (including the Canon EOS C500 and C300).
Note: Canon's EF Cinema zoom lenses require the Super 35mm Cropping setting, since they do not cover the area of a full-frame D-SLR imaging sensor. Canon's fixed focal length EF Cinema lenses, however, will cover the area of a full-frame sensor.
- 18.1Mp Full-Frame CMOS Sensor
- The EOS-1D C features Canon's full-frame 18.1 megapixel CMOS sensor that's designed from the ground up to create high resolution, perfectly detailed images with unprecedented speed and clarity. A full 24 x 36mm, the sensor captures 5184 x 3456 large individual 6.95 µm pixels and has a much-improved S/N ratio resulting in better images from the start.
A photodiode structure with an increased photoelectric conversion rate increases the sensor's sensitivity by approximately 2 stops over previous models, meaning higher ISOs with the lowest noise of any EOS digital camera. And a 2-line 16-channel simultaneous signal readout means speeds of up to 12 fps (RAW + JPEG) and even 14 fps (Super High Speed Mode) are possible.
- HD Compression Modes: IPB and ALL-I
- When recording 1920 x 1080 HD video with the 1D C to its on-board CF cards, the file type changes from that of the 4K Motion JPEG to the more familiar MPEG4, AVC, H.264 file types used in previous EOS HDSLRs. The two compression schemes that can be chosen during Full HD recording are "IPB" and "ALL-I."
The "IPB" compression scheme (Interframe, Predicted Frame, and Bidirectional Predicted Frame), allows for good image quality and a significant reduction in overall file size compared to first generation HDSLR cameras such as the 5D Mark II, 7D and 60D. It is well suited for recording long, continuous clips where lots of tight editing and cuts are not as likely to occur in post-production. When using IPB compression, approximately 15 minutes of Full HD recording produces a 4GB file (though continuous recording file sizes are not limited to 4GB in the 1D C).
The second "ALL-I" compression scheme (All Intraframe), processes each individual frame as a complete image, and each frame can be edited with its quality still intact. This is ideal for situations where editors expect to make many precise edits to original video files. However the trade-off with ALL-I is that file sizes will be about 3x larger than those using the IPB method.
Therefore, a 4GB video file (Full HD 1920 x 1080) will contain roughly 4.5 to 5 minutes of video when recorded using the ALL-I compression method. That said, it still produces relatively small files and is the best choice for projects that will be widely distributed in a variety of formats.
- Internal Audio Recording and Silent Volume control
- Recording audio on the EOS-1D C can be done internally--using either the built-in microphone, or via an external microphones and a standard stereo mic jack. Automatically, or manually control sound levels over a 64-step, user-adjusted range. Like the EOS-1D X and EOS 5D Mark III, the EOS-1D C offers silent adjustment of audio (or exposure) settings with its touch-sensitive Quick Control Dial.
Noteworthy on the EOS-1D C is a built-in headphone jack, simplifying greatly the task of monitoring audio during recording or playback. This is especially useful when combined with the silent control feature for adjusting audio levels during actual recording. However it is still recommended that when doing documentary, commercial, television or feature film production that the camera's audio be used only as a reference to sync with.
- 14-bit A/D Conversion, Wide Range ISO Setting 100-51200
- The EOS-1D C not only offers 14-bit signal processing for excellent image gradation, it delivers higher standard and expanded ISOs, and a score of new options to enhance shooting in varied and fast-changing lighting situations. With a standard range of ISO 100-51200, the EOS-1D C represents a 2-stop increase in sensitivity over previous cameras. Thanks to the improved signal-to-noise ratio of the new sensor and powerful noise reduction, the EOS-1D C can shoot at expanded sensitivities down to ISO 50 (L) and up to 102400 (H1), and even 204800 (H2)! Beyond the obvious advantages of its wide ISO range, the EOS-1D C has automatic ISO settings, found on the dedicated ISO menu. Minimum and maximum ISO settings can be specified, as can a user-defined range, plus full auto and manual.
- Dual DIGIC 5+ Image Processors for Enhanced Noise Reduction and Blazing Processing Speed
- For a whole new level of performance, the EOS-1D C uses Dual DIGIC 5+ Image Processors that include four 4-channel A/D converter front-end processing circuits and deliver speeds of up to 12 fps (RAW + JPEG) and 14 fps (JPEG). Compared with the predecessor, Canon's DIGIC 4 Image Processor, the Dual DIGIC 5+ Image Processor offers approximately 17x faster processing speed, and feature new algorithms that promote greater noise reduction at higher ISOs. In addition to conventional image processing functions the Dual DIGIC 5+ Image Processors offer real-time compensation for Chromatic Aberration in both still and motion images. With the power of these two processors, speed improvements are noticeable from the instant the camera is turned on and the stunning results speak for themselves.
- 61-Point High Density Reticular AF
- The newly designed 61-Point High Density Reticular AF features an Offset Array Sensor (with staggering AF point arrangement) to deliver greater accuracy, no matter the situation. It offers multi-zone wide-area AF for better tracking, has 5 central dual cross-type points (f/2.8 diagonal), 21 central cross-type points (f/5.6 horizontal and vertical) and 20 outer cross-type points (f/4.0 horizontal), and is sensitive in extremely low-light situations (EV-2 for a central point with a f/2.8 lens).
The EOS-1D C has a dedicated AF menu tab, so AF can be controlled without having to go through custom function menus. It also has 6 AF point selection methods (Spot, Single Point, Single + Adjacent 4 Points, Single + Adjacent 8 Points, Zone Selection, and Automatic AF Point Selection), plus a dedicated AF configuration tool for control of AI Servo AF III tracking parameters (tracking sensitivity, acceleration/deceleration tracking, and AF point auto switching).
The EOS-1D C uses the 100,000-pixel RGB Metering Sensor to aid the AF system in Automatic Point Selection. This dramatically increases the tracking performance for subjects that were previously unpredictable to follow, such as fast-moving or flying subjects. EOS iTR (Intelligent Tracking and Recognition) AF recognizes the subject based on face and color detection from the AE system, and tracks it using AF points. The EOS iSA (Intelligent Subject Analysis) System incorporates color recognition and Face Detection for proper exposure. Specific parameters can be adjusted and refined and saved in the AF menu for later use.
- Magnesium Alloy Body with Shutter Durability and Dust and Weather-Resistance
- For professionals who demand nothing less than the best, the EOS-1D C is designed to perform superbly, even in the most treacherous environments, every time. The body is constructed of rigid, high-strength magnesium alloy for rugged performance and features a new grip design for easier finger placement and reduced hand fatigue. Its newly redesigned shutter has lightweight and carbon-fiber blades, and is rated to maintain up to 14 fps performance without compromise, for up to 400,000 cycles.
- Ultrasonic Wave Motion Cleaning (UWMC)
- The EOS-1D C's integrated cleaning dust removal cleaning uses a carrier wave type self-cleaning sensor unit. While previous dust removal systems removed dust adhered to the surface of the infrared absorbing/ultraviolet-blocking glass in a frontward direction by vibrating the glass with ultrasound, the new system effectively rolls rather than shakes the dust particles off, removing an even greater amount of dust, especially smaller particles.
As with previous cameras, the IR/UV absorbing glass in front of the EOS-1D C's sensor is treated with an anti-dust fluorine coating making it easier to remove damp or sticky dust particles. As part of Canon's Integrated Cleaning System dust missed by the camera can be identified and removed using the Dust Delete Data feature of Canon's Digital Professional Pro software, bundled with every EOS digital SLR.
- Intelligent Viewfinder with Superimposed LCD
- The EOS-1D C's Intelligent Viewfinder offers a sharp, bright approximately 100% field of view with an approximate magnification of .76x, a viewing angle of 35° and a 20mm eye-point. With a new construction featuring aspherical lens elements, the viewfinder displays less distortions and color aberrations than previous models. It uses a transparent LCD to superimpose a customizable combination of focus points and gridlines directly over the image.
The AF status indicator can even be directed to display within or outside of the viewfinders image area. With the intelligent viewfinder, unlike with other cameras, the photographer has the choice of seeing shooting information or looking only at the scene in front of the camera. The ability to effectively erase all shooting data and turn it back on with the touch of a button gives the photographer the opportunity to concentrate simply on looking and composing the photograph without distraction, a great advantage in numerous shooting situations.
|Camera Type || Digital SLR with interchangeable lenses and cinematic quality video |
|Resolution || Effective: 18.1 Megapixels |
|Sensor || CMOS, 24 x 36 mm |
|File Formats || Still Images: JPEG, RAW |
Movies: 4K, MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
Audio: Linear PCM
|Sensitivity || 50 - 5120 |
|Shutter Speeds || 1/8000 - 30 seconds |
|Metering || Spot metering, Center-weighted average metering, Average metering, Multi-zone metering |
|Exposure Modes || Modes: Aperture Priority, Manual, Shutter Priority Compensation: -5 EV to +5 EV (in 1/3 EV steps) |
|White Balance || Auto, Cloudy, Daylight, Flash, Fluorescent, Manual, Tungsten |
|Memory Card Type || CompactFlash |
|Recording Formats || 4K, Full HD (Full-Frame HD, Super 35mm Full HD) |
|Video Resolution || 4K (4096 x 2160), Full HD (1920 x 1080) |
|Audio Recording || Internal recording and silent control, using built-in or external microphones |
|Viewfinder Type || Pentaprism |
|Viewfinder Coverage || 100% |
|Operating Temperature || 32 to 104 °F (0 to 40 °C) |
Humidity: 0 - 85%
|Weatherproofing || Yes |
|Battery Type || LP-E4 or LP-E4N lithium-ion battery pack (LP-E4N included) |
|Dimensions || 6.2 x 6.4 x 3.3" (16 x 16 x 8 cm) |
|Weight || Without eye-cup: approx. 3.5 lb (1.5 kg), CIPA standard |
Canon EOS-1D C Camera (Body Only)
- Cable Protector and Clamp
- Wide Strap L7
- EOS Digital Solution Disk
- Software Instruction Manual
Login to get access to Q&A