The Series 7 Orange MRC 040M Filter from B+W is used to increase contrast and tonal separation in black and white photography. It enhances clouds while making skies and foliage appear darker, creating dramatic landscape shots. Violet, blue, and the green colors are affected the most, therefore, these colors darken the most. The opposite happens for skin tones, which the tones go lighter because of the filter's color. The glass has a filter factor of 4, requiring exposures to be increased by 2 stops.
Its Schott Glass construction uses Multi-Resistant Coating (MRC) technology to reduce reflections and ghosting; protect from scratches; and repel dirt and water. The ring is made from brass, which is a softer metal that prevents the ring from binding on the front of the lens.
- Increases contrast and tonal separation
- Darkens Skies, and also lightens foliage and skin
- Filter factor of 4, which increases exposure by 2 stops
- Multi-Resistant Coating (MRC) reduces reflections and ghosting; protects from scratches; and repels dirt and water
- Schott glass provides better transmission of light
- Brass filter ring helps to prevent jamming and provides additional strength