This is a new external flash unit that provides i-TTL flash operation in a compact and lightweight body at an affordable price. The SB-400 offers a guide number of 98.4 feet / 30m (ISO 200), and effortless bounce flash function. The SB-400 is a flash unit for entry-level digital SLR users, but it is also useful for D2 series digital camera users as a handy flash unit.
The SB-400 has been developed to provide an entry-level external flash unit which is compatible with i-TTL flash operation. In combination with cameras compatible with Nikon Creative Lighting System the SB-400 is controlled in i-TTL and D40's M (manual) mode.Its flash head can be tilted in 4 steps, horizontal, 60, 75 and 90 degrees, and has a flash shooting distance range from 0.6m to 20m(depends on the ISO setting). Slow Sync, Red-eye Reduction and other flash modes can also be set on the camera body. With the SB-400, users can easily enjoy brighter and more natural lighting for better flash pictures.
- Compatible with i-TTL and D40’s M mode
- Flash head can be tilted in 4 steps; horizontal, 60, 75 and 90 degrees
- Flash shooting distance range: 0.6m - 20m (depends on the ISO setting)
- Guide number: 30 [ISO 200, m, 20°C]
- Angle of coverage: 18mm (with Nikon-DX format cameras), 27mm (with Nikon F6)
- Depending on the camera in use, the following flash modes are available: Slow Sync, Red-eye Reduction, Red-eye Reduction with Slow Sync, Rear-curtain Sync, FV Lock, exposure compensation, M (manual, only with D40 camera)
- Power source: two AA-size 1.5V batteries (also compatible with lower voltage batteries)
Note: SB-400 cannot be used with cameras not compatible with Nikon Creative Lighting System. SB-400 is not compatible with Advanced Wireless Lighting.