The Leica S2-P SLR Digital Camera offers the incredible imaging quality of digital-medium format in a compact ergonomic design. Employing a large 30 x 45mm CCD sensor, the S2 captures 37.5 megapixel files in the classic 3:2 ratio. Designed to offer maximum resolution in a convenient form factor, the body is similar in form to a modern 35mm DSLR. Well-designed controls and a simplified menu system make navigating the camera fast and highly intuitive. The camera produces an amazing large 72.5 MB RAW or 106.6 MB JPG file. This opens up to an image over 16 x 24" at 300 DPI.
The 3" LCD screen allows you to view your images on location, and the Color OLED window displays the camera's information at a glance. You can also work tethered to your computer in the studio, connecting via the LEMO push-pull USB connector. Weather- and dust-resistant seals and a magnesium body ensure professional performance even under the most demanding conditions.
Unlike traditional medium format systems, the Leica S2 utilizes both Central Shutter technology (for flash sync up to 1/500) and a focal-plane shutter for capturing ambient light subjects at up to 1/4000 second. This unique, dual-shutter system offers incredible shooting flexibility for everything from fashion assignments to reportage.
Other features include advanced autofocus capabilities, wide ISO sensitivity (ISO 80-1250), dual CF and SD card slots, and choice of S-System lenses. This along with its precision design and handling, makes the Leica S2 an excellent choice for professional commercial, studio, and fine-art photographers.
- Larger-Than-Full-Frame Image Sensor
- The 37.5 megapixel image sensor of the Leica S2 is almost 60% larger than a 35mm full-frame image sensor - putting the Leica S2 in a class by itself. It is also specially designed to take full advantage of the latest Leica S Series lenses.
- Uses Leica S Lenses
- Leica S lenses ensure that you'll always get a superior image - regardless of the shooting conditions. Because the lenses are designed with the S-System sensor in mind, your images will not exhibit vignetting or distortion whether you shoot close up, tight zoom, or at wide angle. The S lenses are also waterproof and dustproof, and utilize the camera's integrated central shutter for quick responsiveness and flash synchronization.
- Extensive Lens Choices
- The Leica S-System lenses include normal, wide-angle, telephoto, and macro lenses that are suited for all sorts of photographic applications from detailed product shots to travel photography to birding, and much more. There are also select specialty lenses that are either available now or in development including shift-tilt, super wide-angle, and extreme telephoto lenses.
- Precision AF System
- The Auto Focus system in the S2 provides fast and accurate focus without the need for trial-and-error to get the perfect image - as is typical with other SLR AF systems. The AF system is also quiet. The camera can be switched to Manual Focus, which provides an electronic sharpness alert to assure that your MF images are as sharp as can be.
- Dual Shutter System
- The camera incorporates an innovative dual-shutter System. The focal-plane shutter provides fast shutter speed capability of up to 1/4000 seconds, while the central shutter incorporated into the lens system provides flash synchronization in any lighting mode - making the camera a superb studio imaging system.
- MAESTRO Image Processor
- The exclusive MAESTRO Image Processor uses dual processor chips to provide fast operation & shooting speeds, along with high ISO with negligible noise, and a superb set of powerful shooting modes. The processor also enables simultaneous recording of JPEG and DNG RAW image file types
- High Resolution 3.0" LCD Display
- The 3.0" LCD display on the back of the S2 has over 460,000 pixels for sharp and detailed images, making focus and composition confirmation easier than on most digital SLR cameras. The LCD screen also allows users to view images and data from a wide viewing angle.
- Bright & Clear Viewfinder
- The viewfinder of the Leica S2 is extremely bright and provides a host of shooting information indicators, in addition to a clear and precise image. The viewfinder also has integrated diopter compensation so users will get a crisp view without the need for prescription eyewear.
- OLED Info Display
- The camera has a full color Organic LED display on the top surface that is easily visible from any viewing angle, even in bright sunlight. It provides a fast and easy way of knowing the current camera status, along with exposure & focus settings of the camera.
- Compact Ergonomic Design
- Lighter and smaller than most digital SLR cameras available today, the Leica S2 is extremely comfortable to handle and use. Its light weight and compact design make the camera a pleasure to carry around - even when traipsing through thick forest or jostling for position at a press conference. In addition, the intuitive control placement makes using the camera both easy and enjoyable. There is also an optional vertical grip with release button available for easier portrait shots.
- Easy-to-Use Camera Functions
- The camera's menus and info displays are laid out in a logical manner that provides for intuitive operation, and the camera's 4-way controller and thumb wheel are well-placed for comfortable access to the camera controls. In addition, many of the cameras display settings and functions can be customized for the further convenience of the user.
- Dust- & Water-Proof
- Waterproof and dustproof seals cover every millimeter of the Leica S2 so you can shoot in bad weather or dry and dusty environments and still be assured that your camera will function to its optimum ability and provide stunning images.
- Secure Interface Connection
- The Leica S2 uses an exclusive LEMO push-pull connector for its USB interface, and also includes an HDMI video output and flash sync connection.
- Dual Memory Card Slots
- The Leica S2 has dual memory card slots - one for CompactFlash cards and the other for Secure Digital (SD/SDHC) cards. This allows a user to select between the two most popular memory card formats and take advantage of the unique features of both systems.